The Ohio Scottish Arts School encourages students to pursue funding from groups in their area. Many pipe bands, Scottish associations, and Clans have supported students by giving them monies to be applied to the fees associated with the Ohio Scottish Arts School. To be included in a listing in our Ohio Scottish Games program, the scholarship must be received by June 1st. Please send all scholarship monies and recipient’s name(s) to:
Ohio Scottish Arts School
c/o Pam Kilpatrick, SACSO Treasurer
2750 Jameston Drive
Rocky River, OH 44116
OSAS is able to award various scholarships at the conclusion of the week each year. The recipients are determined by the OSAS instructors based on certain criteria. Following is a brief description of each scholarship.
• The Cathy Caldwell Aspiring Highland Teacher Scholarship Award for a dance student enrolled in Teacher Training for the first year that demonstrates enthusiasm, knowledge and leadership with regard to teaching Highland dance. *sponsored by St. Andrew’s Society of Dayton
• The Bob Callander Memorial Scholarship is awarded each year to a piper who demonstrates perseverance, dedication and development over the course of the week. *sponsored by Margaret Callander
• The Callander Achievement Award is given to a dancer, for the following year, who shows leadership, dedication and development over the week. *sponsored by Margaret Callander
• The Betty Lawrence Scholarship is awarded to a student in teacher training who shows dedication and commitment to teaching Highland dancing, student leadership, and respect for supporting bodies within Highland Dancing. (not awarded in 2019)
• The Allan MacDonald Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a promising and capable piper for the following year. *sponsored by Karen MacDonald
• The Jack Robertson Scholarship is awarded to someone who is passionate about playing pipes.
• Two Dorothy Riddell Memorial Scholarships are awarded to help students attend summer bagpipe schools.
• The Walter Gorsica Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a student 17 and under that shows dedication to the pipes. *sponsored by Fiona Thomas and Laureano Thomas-Sanchez
• The Royal Canadian Legion Post 54 Memorial Scholarship is a full scholarship awarded to a student showing the most progress at the OSAS. The scholarship for the following year will rotate between Drums, Fiddle, Harp, Highland Dance and Pipes.
• The Dr. Andrew Turner Memorial Scholarship is awarded to two (2) deserving harpers. *sponsored by Edna Turner
• The Out“Stan”ding Thistle Award – In Memory of Stan Needles is given to a deserving student that has shown the spirit of Stan Needles by assisting the Thistle Staff however needed during the Ohio Scottish Arts School. *sponsored by the Thistle Clan